Fig. 1. Construction of the hinge, side wall and door: a) mounting dimensions, b) method of loading and measurement of door deflection
Fig. 2. Screws used to mount hinges: a) EURO screw, b) conical screw
Fig. 3. Contact surfaces and hinge mounting forces
Fig. 4. Mesh model of the examined construction
Fig. 5. Typical damages: a) tearing off two screws from the side wall, b) tearing off one screw
Fig. 6. Distribution of internal forces in a hinge joint
Table 1. Normal stresses in the connection of the screw and particleboard
Fig. 7. Dependence of the stress coefficient on the distance between hinges: S(2.5) = 8.8206 n-0.992, R2 = 0.9023; S(5) = 11.027 n-1.122, R2 = 0.9699
Fig. 8. Distribution of normal stresses depending on hinge distance [MPa]: a) n = 6, b) n = 13
Fig. 9. Resultant displacement of the side wall and door [mm]
Fig. 10. Hinge resultant displacement
Fig. 11. Dependence of the displacement of door rotation centre on the distance between hinges:
Xd’=2.5 = -0.6577 n2 + 11.447 n - 17.12, R2 = 0.9803
Xd’=5 = 0.0566 n2 - 0.1427 n + 27.622, R2 = 0.7538
Yd’=2.5 = -0.2479 n3 + 6.9482 n2 + 62.529 n - 173.04, R2 = 0.742
Yd’=5 = -0.7396 n2 + 11.577 n - 50.176, R2 = 0.7339
Fig. 12. Door deflection
Fig. 13. Dependence of door deflection on distances between hinges:
K(5) = 101.35 n-2.197, R2 = 0.9890
K(2.5) = 75.195 n-2.036, R2 = 0.9859
Fig. 14. Animations of performed numerical analysis
Download Video "Figure 14.MPG"
- Atar M., Colakoglu M.H., Acikel I., 2009. Screw withdrawal strength some impregnated wood materials. Journal of Applied Sciences, 9, 4224–4231.
- Colakoglu M.H., 2009. Determination of bending strength elongation in bending screw withdrawal strength and swelling in thickness of some panels. Journal of Applied Sciences, 9, 4061–4065.
- Eckelman C.A., 1990. Fasteners and their use in particleboard and medium density fiberboard. National Particleboard Association, West Lafayette, Purdue University Press.
- EN 14074-2004. Office furniture – test methods for determinations of strength and durability of moving parts.
- Erdil Y.Z, Zang J., Eckelman C.A., 2002. Holding strength of screws in plywood and oriented strandboard. Forest Products Journal, 52, 55–62.
- Gates J.C., 2009. Screw withdrawal strength in 9wood’s assemblies. Test Evaluation Report, Oregon Wood Innovation Center, 9Wood Inc. Oregon.
- Gaunt D.J., 1997. The effect of thread geometry on screw withdrawal strength. NZ Timber Design Journal, 6, 12–20.
- Gozdecki C., 2011. Effect of the wood particle size on screw withdrawal and lateral resistance of wood-polymer composites. Annals of Warsaw University of Life Sciences – SGGW Forestry and Wood Technology, 74, 86–90.
- Miljković J., Popović M., Điporović-Momčilović M., Gavrilović-Grmuša I., 2007. Edge screw withdrawal resistance in conventional particleboard and OSB – influence of the particles type. Београд, Гласник Шумарског Факултета, 95, 109–117.
- Mohamadzadeh M., Haftkhani A.R, Ebrahimi G., Yoshihara H., 2012. Numerical and experimental failure analysis of screwed single shear joints in wood plastic composite. Materials and Design, 35, 404–413.
- Özçifçi A., 2009. The effects of pilot hole, screw types and layer thickness on the withdrawal strength of screws in laminated veneer lumber. Materials and Design, 30, 2355–2358.
- Smardzewski J., Ożarska B., 2005. Rigidity of cabinet furniture with semi-rigid joints of the confirmat type. EJPAU 8(2), #32.
- Taj M.A, Najafi S.K, Ebrahimi G., 2009. Withdrawal and lateral resistance of wood screw in beech, hornbeam and poplar. European Journal of Wood and Wood Products, 67, 135–140.
- Tankut N., 2011. The influence of pilot hole on the moment resistance of screwed T-type furniture joints. Annals of Warsaw University of Life Sciences – SGGW, Forestry and Wood Technology, 73, 75–84.
- Vassiliou V., Barboutis I., 2005. Screw withdrawal capacity used in the eccentric joints of cabinet furniture connectors in particleboard and MDF. Journal of Wood Science, 51, 572–576.
- Zhang J., Efe H., Erdil Y.Z, Kasal A., Han N., 2005. Moment resistance of multiscrew L-type corner joints. Forest Products Journal, 55, 56–63.
- Zhou J, Hu Ch., Hu S., Yun H., Jiang G., 2012. Optimization of hinge configuration of furniture doors using finite elements analysis. Bioresources, 7, 5809–5816.
Responses to this article, comments are invited and should be submitted within three months of the publication of the article. If accepted for publication, they will be published in the chapter headed 'Discussions' and hyperlinked to the article.
For further details log on website :